1 cup channa dal
1/4 cup rice flour
1 big onion finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaves - optional
1 tsp red chilli powder
4-5 Thai chilly - add according to your taste
vegetable oil for deep frying
salt to taste
- Soak the channa dal in warm water for about 1 hour.
- Drain out the water and grind it in a mixer with little salt and without adding any water.Grind till it becomes a partially coarse paste. Do not grind it into a smooth paste.
- Mix the above channa dal paste, onions, rice flour, coriander, mint, chopped green chilli, red chilli powder and salt in a big bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil in a kadai at medium heat.
- Take small quantity of the mixture and make small round balls out of it. Flatten the balls on your palm and drop it into the kadai for deep frying.
- If the oil is very hot, the outer part of the vada cooks faster, so cook in medium heat.Ensure that vada is cooked well inside and has turned brownish red on the outside.