Its been a long time since I have eaten kheema in any form. My friend's lunch box inspired me to cook vegetarian form of this dish and relive my kheema loving days.This dish is made out of soy granules.Most of the Indian stores have them stacked along with soya chunks and other soy products. Soy is healthy and good source of protein for vegans.
2 cups soy granules
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
1 large tomato chopped
1 cup peas
2 garlic cloves finely minced
1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp jeera-dhania powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp kheema masala(available in indian stores) - optional. You can substitue this with garam masala.
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
Chopped cilantro leaves for garnishing
Lemon juice - optional
salt to taste
- Add soy granules to a pot of boiling water and let it boil for 5 min. After soy granules are soft and well cooked drain/squeeze the water out and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a girdle and add onions and fry them till they turn translucent.
- Add minced ginger , garlic paste and fry them till the raw smell goes away.
- Add peas , jeera - dhania powder and cook for 2 min.
- Add tomatoes, garam masala, kheema masala and salt to taste. Cook till the tomatoes soften.
- Add soy granules and half cup of water.Close the lid and let it cook for 5 min. Soy granules absorb all the salt and masala, so watch out for that and ensure that you go easy on salt initially.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.You can add lemon juice for a tangy taste but it is optional.